ASCP Skin Deep

MAY | JUNE 2018

Issue link: http://www.ascpskindeepdigital.com/i/968907

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 64 of 84

62 may/june 2018 Yet, the average spa and salon credits less than 5 percent of its business to retail sales. Estheticians work hard, but we also have to work smart, and this comes from learning the art of product recommendation. This can substantially increase your profits. Skin care professionals need to master creating the right mind-set and environment to ask the right questions and properly sell skin care. If we ask the proper questions, we are going to get the right answers—and the right business. TAKING THE FEAR OUT OF RETAILING The importance of retailing is a message that spa owners and beauty professionals hear over and over again from their distributors, manufacturers, and other industry sources. It is a reality of the business: a spa can be truly successful only if its retail sales equal or exceed the service sales. Depending on your spa or salon, retail sales should account for 50 percent of your gross revenue. However, many professionals fail to recommend products for their clients to purchase. Some fear their clients might not return as often if they are using salon-quality products at home. Actually, the opposite is true. Research has found that if you sell a client two retail products, there is a 60 percent chance of them returning to the spa or salon. One product, and there is a 30 percent chance of them returning. No product and there's a scant 10 percent chance of them returning.² THREE STEPS TO SALES SUCCESS: CONSULTATION, ANALYSIS, AND RECOMMENDATION It is your responsibility to educate your clients about the availability of products to maintain or enhance the results of their service. They want you to make them look their best, and they need those retail products to achieve and maintain the results they love. Remember, you are the authority, the expert in skin care, and your clients need and value your help. When you take a professional approach from the beginning, you feel more secure about recommending products than if you wait until the client is standing at the cash register with money in hand. Begin with a consultation for every client. Use a skin analysis chart. Record the person's current skin care regimen, lifestyle habits, past treatments, sun exposure and, most importantly, their expectations. The more you know about a client, the better able you will be to provide treatment and, consequently, achieve more effective results. Ask them their concerns, and then concretely address those concerns with product recommendations. Always note on their skin analysis chart what you recommended and what the client purchased. On their next visit, ask how the product worked and adjust the regimen, if needed. Put the product in your client's hand, and explain how and when to use it. When you recommend with confidence, your clients will trust your expertise. The average spa and salon credits less than 5% of its business to retail sales. Research has found that if you sell a client two retail products, there is a 60% chance of them returning to the spa or salon.

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of ASCP Skin Deep - MAY | JUNE 2018