ASCP Skin Deep

Student Skin Deep 2022

Issue link: http://www.ascpskindeepdigital.com/i/1482182

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 44 of 52

42 ASCP Skin Deep Student Edition WHILE CERTAINLY NOT your number one priority, selling retail can help you succeed as an esthetician. Retailing can account for 5–30 percent of a spa's revenue, sometimes even more. 1 And the same can be said for solo estheticians too. The idea of selling, however, can be downright scary; after all, a client just spent a lot of money on the service you provided and they're all relaxed and happy. It might feel pushy to sell them a line of products as they're walking out the door. This is the wrong way to think about selling retail. You are the expert, and it's time to master developing the right mindset and environment to ask the right questions and recommend the proper products. If you ask the proper questions, you are going to get the right answers— and your profit margins will continue to grow! TAKE THE FEAR OUT OF RETAILING The importance of retailing is a message estheticians hear again and again from their distributors, manufacturers, and other industry sources. It is a reality of the business: A spa can be truly successful only if its retail sales equal or exceed the service sales. However, many professionals fail to recommend products for their clients to purchase. Some fear their clients might not return as often if they are using salon-quality products at home. Actually, the opposite is true. According to research, clients who buy retail build a connection with you and your business. In fact, experts say if you sell a client two retail products, there is a 60 percent chance of them returning to you; one product equates to a 30 percent chance for their return; and zero products sold brings the chance of this client returning down to 10 percent. 2 CLIENT EDUCATION IS KEY It is your responsibility to educate your clients about the availability of products to maintain or enhance the results of their service. They want you to make them look their best, and they need those retail products to achieve and maintain the results they love. Remember, you are the authority, and your clients need and value your help. When you take a professional approach from the beginning, you feel more secure about recommending products than if you wait until the client is standing at the cash register with money in hand. Begin with a consultation for every client. Record the person's current home-care regimen, lifestyle habits, and their expectations. The more you know about a client, the better able you will be to achieve effective results. Ask them their concerns, and then concretely address those concerns with product recommendations. Always note what you recommended and what the client purchased. On their next visit, ask Recommending Retail Selling retail can be scary, so use your expertise to help clients find the products they need by Lydia Sarfati

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of ASCP Skin Deep - Student Skin Deep 2022